Friday, May 1, 2009

Core Curriculum

Gee, I neglect this humble blog for a week and everything goes down the toilet. Swine flu - sorry, Influenza A H1N1 - makes a comeback (I recall the last big kerfuffle in the 1970s); Chrysler finally gives up trying to rehab its condition and goes under the bankruptcy knife, raising the spectre of a cascade effect; David Souter, perhaps despondent over my absence, decides to retire from the Supreme Court.

Not only has my blogging suffered for a variety of reasons, but the amount of time I have for website reading has been cut drastically. This has forced me to pick and choose. I still regularly get to The Truth About Cars, James Lileks, Jon Carroll, Dale at Faith In Honest Doubt, Brian and company at Incertus, and 2 Blowhards. The others on my list depend on how much time I have, although I try to rotate them. I can't help but notice a few things about those choices.

- At first glance they don't have a lot in common, but to me they share something important; I simply like reading them. If I only have so much time to read, I want to enjoy it, and I always enjoy those people.

- There's much less hardcore politics. Perhaps I'm just ready for a break from it after the past two years.

- Andrew Sullivan didn't make the cut. This is a result of his strength suddenly becoming a liability. When I had more time his site was great, but there's so much there that it would crowd out others on whom I don't want to scrimp.

Hopefully I will be able to expand my internet repertoire again, but until then those will do nicely.

1 comment:

Dale said...

You honor me, good sir.

I hope you find your way back to what you consider regular web browsing, but if not, I hope it's for having found something more appealing and enriching.