Friday, June 20, 2008

Gotta Post Something!

A few short thoughts.......

I had a chance to try this Wednesday, and it does work; all five of my eggs popped out nicely. They did emit a disconcerting high-pitched squeal, but it was otherwise pretty slick.

I watched the movie Desire Under the Elms on TCM Wednesday night. It was a good movie, but what struck me was Burl Ives playing a hard-bitten SOB. In the three movies in which I remember him, Big Country (for which he won an Oscar) and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof being the others, he played the same type. Having grown up knowing him as an amiable folk singer and the voice of the snowman on Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer, seeing him playing someone like that is still a bit startling.

Although for playing against type, it's hard to beat Andy Griffith in A Face in the Crowd. He shows a hard, cold, conniving cynicism that would shock Andy Taylor and Ben Matlock.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Andy Griffith also played the Father in an adaptation of Six Characters In Search of an Author for public television back in the 70s. Quite a departure. (I only know that because I've taught that play.)

The greatest playing against type for me is still Fred MacMurray in The Apartment. Such a slimeball in that movie.

Mike said...

I also recall Fred as the murdering scoundrel in Double Indemnity, and the cynical Navy officer in The Caine Mutiny. My Three Sons indeed.