Friday, March 28, 2008

Ignorance

We got the promised snow Wednesday night, about 4 inches of heavy wet stuff that stuck to the shovel. Ah well, it pretty much melted off the streets and sidewalks by yesterday afternoon.

I was recently commenting on a story (via Incertus) about the Florida Senate issuing an apology for slavery, and it occurred to me that I really don't have any experience with the emotions involved. According to the last census, there are 4685 black/African American people in South Dakota, putting them as a minority group in a virtual tie for third with Asians,well behind Native Americans and Hispanics. It is still quite possible to grow up here and never meet a live black person. When you talk race relations here, it almost always involves Native Americans.

I've been fortunate to have gotten to know African Americans through college, and my step-daughter is currently involved with a black man, but overall the historical baggage just isn't here. After all, South Dakota didn't exist until 1886, and my family didn't settle here until 1890 after coming from Europe.

No comments: