Monday, August 4, 2008

Automated Phone Tag

Geez, I went all weekend without getting on a computer. I did spend Sunday afternoon with a granddaughter sleeping on my chest, so it wasn't a complete waste.

I received two interesting phone calls. Both were automated and intended for my step-daughter.
I answered one and was treated to the silken sound of a recording telling her to call their number during business hours. The other one left a message telling my voicemail that "by staying on the line you are acknowledging that you are Jennifer" and to call them.

Do these calls actually work? I'm guessing they were collection agencies, probably for some old medical bill. I disregarded both of them, and not just because they weren't for me. Any collection agency that wants money is going to have to actually make an effort, not expect to be called for permission to pay it. Even if they had been for me, the only reason I would call them would be to find out where the bill originated so I could pay the source. It really annoys the collection agency, but I didn't do business with them.

It is slightly irritating that some businesses make so little effort to bill before selling it to a collection agency, especially when insurance delays are involved. By the time the insurance settles up the business stops sending bills. It creates a big headache trying to keep track of who is owed what, compounded by getting separate bills from everyone but the bedpan cleaner. I'm of the opinion that if the hospital hired some other outfit to do something for them, then they should pay for it and add it to their bill.

No comments: