Thursday, August 7, 2008

More Tim

My reaction to the Tim Johnson ads initiated some discussion at Dakota 21 and South Dakota War College. (It's nice to be noticed.) I agree that I may have overstated their possible negative effect; I may vote for him anyway myself. It's also certainly possible,as some commenters said, that the forthrightness shown in the ads, the willingness to present his condition as it is, may have a positive effect. I have seen another ad noting that he hasn't missed any votes since his return, so they are addressing the health issue directly and pragmatically.

My reaction was mostly just that; reacting to what I saw. I hadn't followed Tim's condition that closely, so it was like noticing how someone you see infrequently has aged. Other people I know have had a similar reaction. The recent Brett Favre kerfuffle also comes to mind. Not necessarily Favre himself, but the general aging or repeatedly injured athlete scenario; he may be capable of playing, perhaps even playing well, but you wonder if it's in his long-term best interest. As a number of commenters noted, we will have to see more of Tim to make the best assessment possible.

No comments: