Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Card Shark

Will Smith - no, not the actor - has some thoughts on his recently acquired ability to play bridge.

The element of mind-reading involved in silently agreeing a trump during the bidding stage makes picking your partner a delicate process. In one beginners' game I played, it might have helped if mine had known the difference between clubs and spades. They also suggested it would be easier if more colours were introduced to the pack. This is the sort of person you should follow to see how they manage to open doors.

Bill Gates Plays Bridge Online, of course. He may play it in person as well, but he definitely part-owns bridgebase.com and regularly uses it. I tried to join in, but, typically, Bill required me to run Windows on my Mac, something I am not prepared to do. If I wanted my Mac to run like a PC I would leave it out in the rain and whack it with a hammer before turning it on.

No comments: