Sunday, February 8, 2009

Single or Psychotic?

Sathnam Sanghera contemplates his current marital status.

You see, I've been single for nearly two years now and, as we approach the wrist-slashing horror of another Valentine's Day, it strikes me that there are a number of eerie parallels between my agitated mental state and three of the most mind-boiling consequences of isolated incarceration, namely, “hypersensitivity”, “psychotic delirium” and “tunnel vision”.

Add to that certain ethnic complications.

Punjabis marry young: my three elder siblings were all betrothed by the age of 19; at 32 I am now twice the age my parents were when they got married; and - this I find most bewildering - some of my first cousins have had children, and those children are now married with kids. If small items of Staffordshire crockery began spontaneously erupting through my forehead, I doubt that I'd be viewed with any more pity or bemusement at family gatherings.

No comments: