Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A View from the U.K.

Alice Miles of the London Times has conflicting thoughts about Sarah Palin.

Call her a “mom”? The mother of a pregnant, unmarried 17-year-old daughter, presumably going through one of the tougher periods of her life, who decides at that point to run for president and make the teenager vulnerable to the scrutiny of the entire world? Gee, mom, thanks.

Yes, she is running for president, Sarah Palin. Any deputy to a 72-year-old man with four bouts of cancer behind him has to be seen as doing just that.

If someone is to present womankind on the international stage, please let it not be Mrs Palin. Please not her, I think. Or part of me thinks. For even as I think it, another part of me cheers.

Somewhere inside me is another person who glories in this woman. I hate her beliefs, but I love that she has the guts to hold them. I hate her campaigning against abortion, but I love her personal decision to have the baby with Down's syndrome.

No comments: