Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Wearing Out Granddad

Magnus Linklater gets in deep with grandkids.

The only way to survive is to impose Victorian standards of behaviour......

This can work because....

Oddly, children will accept a regime required by grandparents that would elicit tears and tantrums if attempted by their parents.

It is possible, of course, that, at the age of 3 and 7, our grandsons were simply indulging two ancient and clearly demented characters who were nevertheless the source of sweet and unhealthy treats banned at home.

It is possible, too, that both sides get something out of showing up the parents. As someone said once: “Grandchildren and grandparents get along so well because they have a common enemy.”

My experience with my two granddaughters, ages 8 and 6, is generally similar, although I'm 20 years younger than Magnus, which means more energy but less of that aura of antiquity. The younger one, however, seemed much more impressed with my turning 46 than her Grandma turning 50; I guess 46 sounds older.

I do wholeheartedly agree with his assessment.

On the whole, however, my one-man report on the grandparental role is positive on both sides.

No comments: